[lowrisc-dev] Re: [sw-dev] RISC-V LLVM status update

Alex Bradbury asb at asbradbury.org
Tue Aug 22 19:32:08 BST 2017

On 22 August 2017 at 16:14, Angelo Bulfone <mbulfone at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow. Great work!
> Any chance on some information about what upstream version of LLVM to use
> and how to install it? I try running the patches and patch seems to just
> hang on me.

Hi Angelo, I've added some guidance in the README which should clarify
things <https://github.com/lowrisc/riscv-llvm#how-to-build>. As I
indicate in the README, things should be less awkward once more of the
patchset is committed upstream. As I hoped, since publicising this
current milestone there seems to have been an uptick in reviewer
activity on the patches submitted upstream, so I'm hopeful this
awkwardness will soon be in the past.

I'll repeat the two "notes" from these build instructions here:

1. This repository currently serves a dual purpose - providing a clean
and constantly rebased "perfect" history of the full RISC-V patchset,
as well as being a way to grab all patches in one go, including those
that haven't yet been committed upstream. As more and more patches are
committed upstream, this repository will become mainly interesting as
a reference on how to implement an LLVM backend, and aid in
understanding the RISC-V backend. In the near future, the answer to
"how can I test out the latest RISC-V LLVM support?" will be "check
out the latest upstream LLVM repository and build it".

2. This LLVM and Clang work is not quite at a stage where end-users
are likely to find it useful. However, building and trying it out is a
great first step towards contributing to the development effort.

I hope that helps. Any issues, just let me know. There are some great
starter tasks on the issues page if you're interested in getting start
with LLVM development (e.g.
https://github.com/lowRISC/riscv-llvm/issues/39)