[lowrisc-dev] KC705 support

Dr Jonathan Kimmitt jrrk2 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Aug 22 08:38:37 BST 2017

Dear Sean,

I would say the kc705 code hasn't hardly been changed since the v0.2
release. So the port would involve rebasing the kc705 changes compared
to nexys4ddr from the v0.2 release into the v0.3 release. Chisel changes
would be modest and would just involve changing details of the DDR
memory size, and perhaps some config settings. At least, this is what I
would hope.

Regards,

Jonathan

On 22/08/17 07:48, Sean Halle wrote:
> Thanks Wei,
>
>     How much effort do you estimate will be required for the KC705 port?
> For example, how many hours of developer time?
>
>     Does it involve Chisel modifications?  Or is the effort only changes to
> the build scripts?
>
>     If we undertake this, we will be happy to contribute back :-)
>
>     And if anyone else has made any progress, we would be happy to work
> together.
>
> Best,
>
> Sean
> Intensivate
>

> *CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE*: This e-mail and its attachments contain
> information which is confidential. It's use is strictly limited to the
> stated intent of the provider and is only for the intended recipient(s). If
> the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, or the employee,
> agent or representative responsible for delivering the e-mail to the
> distribution, copying or other use of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
> If you have received this e-mail in error, please reply immediately to the
> sender. Thank you.
>

> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Wei Song <wei.song at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hello Armia,
>>
>> KC705 is only officially supported for untether-v0.2.
>> It is not supported for v0.3/0.4 only because the limited number of users
>> and the limit time available on our end.
>> There are numerous attempts to port lowRISC to KC705/VC707 board in recent
>> years.
>> I believe there must have been several successful ports, however, no one
>> has contribute back yet.
>> The port job is actually straight-forward. It is just not urgent enough
>> for us to actually make it.
>>
>> Would you please file an issue on our GitHub? Therefore we can keep track
>> it and may be have it done some time in the future.
>> Even better, if you would like to port v0.3/0.4 to KC705 and contribut it
>> back, we can definitely provide help and guide you for the whole process.
>>
>> To start the port for v0.3, the easier way I think is to modify the
>> Makefile available for the Nexys4-DDR board into one supporting KC705.
>> The major difference for these two boards is the memory controller.
>>
>> I cc.ed Jonathan who is now in charge of the minion/FPGA work for lowRISC.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Wei
>>

>> On 21/08/2017 21:21, Armia Salib wrote:
>>
>>> Hello *,
>>>
>>> We bought KC705 board particularly to build a system that is based on
>>> LowRISC V0.3 project. We tried to execute "make bitstream" from
>>> "lowrisc-chip/fpga/board/kc705", but it gave the following errors:
>>>
>>> """
>>> ERROR: [Synth 8-1031] dii_package is not declared
>>> [/home/armia/IntensivateRoot/lowrisc-chip/src/main/verilog/chip_top.sv:3]
>>> ERROR: [Synth 8-1766] cannot open include file consts.vh
>>> [/home/armia/IntensivateRoot/lowrisc-chip/src/main/verilog/chip_top.sv:5]
>>> ERROR: [Synth 8-1766] cannot open include file dev_map.vh
>>> [/home/armia/IntensivateRoot/lowrisc-chip/src/main/verilog/chip_top.sv:6]