[lowrisc-dev] How to Contribute?

Alex Bradbury asb at asbradbury.org
Thu Apr 6 09:14:41 BST 2017

On 5 April 2017 at 08:45, Mahesh Dananjaya <dananjayamahesh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am happy to contribute to LowRISC if there is a chance. Currently I am
> getting familiar with RISC-V. I have seen some projects in your GSOC
> idealist. But i couldn't participate this time. And also can someone give a
> idea of where to start?. I have seen lots of project in your github page. I
> am very familiar with computer architecture and system design. Any
> information regarding this is highly appreciated. I am looking forward to
> contribute to the lowRISC in long term. Thankz. Cheers.!!
> regards,

Hi Mahesh, many many thanks for getting in touch and for your interest
in contributing. The GSoC ideas list obviously gives a sampling of
possible projects, but lowRISC is a huge project so there's no
shortage of potential topics.

Looking at our documentation <http://www.lowrisc.org/docs/> should
give you a good idea of what we have now - we're very close to
releasing the 0.4 point release which will update that documentation
and add tag cache optimisations, a way of enforcing rules on tags, and
an initial integration of minion cores.

It partly depends what size project you're looking for. We've recently
thought about experimenting with the minion concept for higher speed
protocols (e.g. Ethernet), and there's obviously a huge amount of work
there in terms of determining what custom accelerators or instruction
set extensions might be necessary to support that sort of use case.
Given your interest in software defined networking, perhaps you have
ideas in this area? It all depends of course if you have other goals
in contributing, e.g. some people are specifically looking to branch
out into an area they're less familiar with.

I'd be happy to set up a skype/hangout to discuss potential ways of
contributing further, if you think that would be helpful.

Thanks again!