[lowrisc-dev] Can't execute SD card example on Nexys4 DDR

Wei Song ws327 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 31 12:03:34 BST 2016

Hello Alexis,

I am afraid I run out of clue.
No matter how you configure the FPGA (SD/JTAG/Flash), if you can see the
error message "Fail to mount SD driver!", at least the FPGA is
configured and UART is working.
Then the question is why the Fat32 file system cannot be initialized on SD.

Have you set the right jumper on board? But this must be a fake
question. Without the right jumper, you cannot configure the FPGA in the
first place.

My suggestion can only be testing from the scratch because I cannot find
any problem on my boards and I have not heard similar problems from
others who had successfully booted the RISC-V Linux.

You can have a look of the basic SPI API functions: driver/spi.c
I would suggest you to manually initialize a SD card using the SPI mode.
Some introduction is available from http://elm-chan.org/docs/mmc/mmc_e.html
Since you have the UART working at least, you can print out the SD
initialization procedure and see whether there is some issues related to
SPI communication.

Best regards,
Wei