[lowrisc-dev] GSoC16 : A virtual platform for lowRISC SoC ?

Alex Bradbury asb at asbradbury.org
Tue Mar 15 15:35:41 GMT 2016

On 13 March 2016 at 00:32, Guillaume Delbergue
<guillaume.delbergue at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’m a Ph.D student working on TLM standard and its application to non memory mapped interfaces, and mainly about protocols used in SoC. I’m interested in building a virtual platform for the lowRISC SoC based on the SystemC IEEE standard.
> More and more project are developed using a top-down approach building first TLM LT models, then maybe AT,... until the RTL. Virtual platforms enable software developers to build drivers and test their code early using a virtual version. They bring software and hardware team to enable early software and early validation. As I can see, you’re talking in your "Plans for RISC-V in 2016 » presentation about SPI, I2C, I2S, UART IP, I think it would be interesting for the community to have a TLM LT level (for example) equivalent to ease hardware, driver development and testing.
>
> What’s the interest of the community in such a project ? What about having an open source virtual platform based on the industry standard (IEEE 1666) ?
>
> Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi Guillaume. Thanks for getting in touch. My personal experience with
SystemC is through our Loki research project where we found a model of
the complete design to be useful for rapidly iterating on hardware
designs and to verify against with the RTL implementation that
followed. I have less experience using models for IP blocks in
isolation - perhaps you could expand on how you feel a loosely timed
model of SPI, I2C, ... could be exploited by the community? Although
much more challenging, I wonder if models for higher speed protocols
like USB or PCIe might be interesting.