[lowrisc-dev] [GSoC_16] Porting Xinu/xv6 to the lowRISC platform

Shibjash Dutt sjd96bvn at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 13:41:53 GMT 2016

Hi,

I'm a student interested in porting either Xinu or xv6 to the
lowRISC platform, as part of this year's Google Summer of Code.

There was a thread posted earlier by another interested student, and a
subsequent
followup by asb. However, I have some questions of my own and would be glad if
the dev team could shed some light on them.

1) Alex Bradbury says targeting Spike or QEMU should be OK. As far as Spike is
   concerned, how complete is it or expected to get? AFAIK Spike is somewhat
   behind on some stuff, like tagged memory and full peripheral support. If my
   project works on Spike, will it run (mostly) unmodified on the hardware?

2) I've built the GNU toolchain, Spike and the kernel. So far, it's pretty bare
   bones and all the functionality is exposed through the HTIF. Are there any
   short term plans to standardize an interface?

3) Apart from Wei Songs's excellent tutorial accompanying the v0.2 release,
   and the phabricator wiki, are there any other sources of information or
   documentation? Or is it read the code and figure it out :P

4) How strong would be the interest in such a project?

Thanks,

Shibjash