[lowrisc-dev] Interested in GSoC opportunity [porting teaching os]

Deepankar Tyagi deepankar.tyagi at st.niituniversity.in
Tue Mar 8 08:00:03 GMT 2016

Hi,

I am a computer science student at undergrad level and would love to
contribute to lowRISC development efforts by porting a teaching OS.

I am currently in process of drafting proposal, this mail is an effort to
seek guidance in order to define goals, scope and timeline of project.

Read the tutorials to figure out how to set up development and testing
environment.

However somethings are not clear,

On the ideas page the statement is "Porting one of these to RISC-V and to
the lowRISC platform..."
#1 Since lowRISC is RISC V based then will porting process be different for
RISC V and lowRISC ?, also the toolchain in tutorial also mentions RISC V
only.

#2 Also I would be grateful if mentor(s) can give insight on what should be
deliverable by GSoC midterm.

#3 Does the mentor(s) have any preference between xv6 and xinu ?

#4 I do not have a FPGA board and will be developing / testing on
simulator, is that alright?

#5 Is there a preferred means to get/see the progress reports ?

Prior (relevant) experience:
My Last year GSoC project involved porting libevent and tor to a new
platform, full details about the same can be seen at
https://deepankar.io/gsoc.
Have also dealt with complex build systems, cross compilations and tweaked
parts of kernel , one such "experiment" is listed at
https://deepankar.io/experiments/details/android_kernel.
Never done a project exactly of this sort.

Some hyperlinks
Github <https://github.com/codebuff> || Linkedin
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/codebuff> || deepankar.io

Best Regards.