[lowrisc-dev] Re: Is a de facto standard memory map helpful or harmful?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jul 28 20:38:30 BST 2016

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 10:11:21PM +0000, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > E820 ACPI UEFI
>
> These are the things that are the most wrong with PCs. Obviously Red Hat
> doesn't care, but out here in the rest of the world we need to be more
> responsible. Thanks for your comments though.

It might be worth re-reading my comments when the red mist has
dispersed.  You'll see that I simply didn't say anything about using
those standards.  I just offered some general principles that you
might use, such as creating hardware which is discoverable, and
reusing kernel code that already exists.

> > have pushed hard for ACPI in the ARM server space
>
> Yeah - you really managed to screw ARMv8 up for everyone. Well done!

If working hard to ensure that upstream kernels boot out of the box on
ARMv8 hardware, and that ARMv8 hardware gets widely adopted on
servers, is "screw[ing] up for everyone" then I'll be happy that we
did it.

Rich.