[lowrisc-dev] Memory-mapped SPI flash on Nexys4?

Wei Song ws327 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 28 14:54:03 BST 2016

Hello Michael,

It is possible to configure an FPGA using a bitstream in Flash. For this
purpose, there is no need to change any hardware design.
What I understand, the trick is all on the Vivado software.
As long as the bitstream is correctly put into the FLASH using Vivado,
with correct jumpers on board, FPGA will be configured from Flash.
See Nexys4DDR demos for more information.

I have not done this before and probably will not support it as a way to
run lowRISC demo, unless there are benefits to do so.

The changes I have made to current lowRISC is to allow reusing the spare
Flash space as an execution in place (XIP) ROM.
Therefore a bootloader, such as coreboot, can be put there.
Also with some benefit that the bootloader does not need to be
re-downloaded when hardware changed.

Next big release probably will be December or January next year with
tagged memory and minions.
Why not now?

Best regards,
Wei