[lowrisc-dev] (no subject)

Reinoud Zandijk reinoud at NetBSD.org
Thu Jul 14 20:52:21 BST 2016

<lowrisc-dev at lists.lowrisc.org>
Subject: Re: [lowrisc-dev] Re: [sw-dev] Is a de facto standard memory map
helpful or harmful?

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 03:38:06PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 1:48:51 PM CEST Alex Bradbury wrote:
> The main problem for operating systems is to have the kernel run at
> a nonconstant physical address. On ARM Linux, we work around this by
> patching every call to phys_to_virt() and virt_to_phys() at early
> boot time as soon as we have detected the start of RAM.

On NetBSD, the kernel runs in virtual space so the bootstrap in pyhsical space
is mainly consisting of creating a pagetable that has the detected RAM chunks
in it mapping it to a contigous virtual space and switch to it.

Its Linux that's odd in that it runs the kernel in pyhsical space ;)

With regards,
Reinoud