[lowrisc-dev] Untethered lowRISC 0.2 with Zedboard

Jamey Hicks jamey.hicks at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 13:30:32 GMT 2016

On the zedboard, I think that the bigger problem is that the ARM CPU is
using all the hard-wired peripherals, so you basically have to shut it off
from the outside world to give the peripherals to the RISC-V.

Of course, when I say that, I'm talking about the SDIO controller and
ethernet. We generally do not use the UART or USB OTG controller from the
ARM processors. So I think it's easy to hand those off to the RISC-V to
give yourself a full untethered system, as long as the RISC-V has an AXI
master port for doing DMA.

Maybe adding a PMOD SD for filesystem. PMOD E is connected to the second
SDIO controller, but the pinout of the connector does not match the pinout
of the Digilent PMOD SD module, so you'll need to use some fly wires to
swizzle the pins to the right place, and then you'll need to reduce the
maximum speed of the controller because fly wires are not good for high
speed signals. I think we reduced the max to 15 or 25 MHz.

On the ZC706, the second ethernet MAC is connected to the SFP+ cage, so
it's available for the RISC-V core.

Cheers,
Jamey