[lowrisc-dev] [GSOC] Arduino to PULPino library porting

Mahmoud Elmohr mahmoud.elmohr at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 21:29:13 BST 2016

Hi everyone,

At first, let my introduce my self; My name is Mahmoud Elmohr, I'm a
student at faculty of engineering, Alexandria University. I was accepted at
Google Summer of Code for a project under the umbrella of lowRISC community
and I want to share my project details and plan with you.

My project is about porting Arduino libraries to PULPino, Importing Arduino
Libraries to PULPino architecture should introduce both PULP and RISC-V to
the massive Arduino community and would benefit in educational purposes.

My Plan is to implement Microcontroller Abstraction Layer (MCAL) first
which includes GPIO and other peripherals such as timers, UART, SPI and I2C
and simulate it using ModelSim.

The next step would be implementing as much as possible of the popular
Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) drivers such as Servo motor, stepper
motor, LCD and SD drivers and test simple tests on FPGA.

The final step is to integrate the RISC-V compiler and the ported libraries
to Arduino IDE to allow direct development for Arduino users.

If time permits, I will try to port the Arduino boot-loader to PULPino.

I hope that this project would contribute to the open
hardware community and I'm looking forward to hearing your reviews and
suggestions about my project so I put them in consideration.

Regards
Mahmoud Elmohr