[lowrisc-dev] [GSoC] Porting musl libc to RISC-V

Masanori Ogino masanori.ogino at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 03:06:55 BST 2016

Hello,

I'm a master's student in Japan majoring in informatics. In this year,
my proposal for lowRISC has been accepted as part of Google Summer of
Code, so I'd like to introduce myself and the project I will work on.
You may have already discussed with me on the mailing lists, though
:-)

The goal of my project is completing a RISC-V port of musl
(http://www.musl-libc.org/), mentored by Rich Felker. I hope the
project could benefit the RISC-V community. Since musl has been used
by some lightweight/embedded Linux distributions including Alpine
Linux and OpenWrt, the project will be attractive especially for
embedded system developers, I guess.

The project aims not only adding RV-specific part of the libc, but
also integrating it into the toolchain. I also consider some
improvements to the kernel side interacting with libc (e.g. migrating
compare-and-swap emulation from system calls to vDSO functions) if
possible.

For details, you can get my proposal on GitHub:
https://github.com/omasanori/gsoc2016-proposal

I'm definitely new to the community though I have had interest in both
RISC-V and musl for years. Nice to meet you!

Any comments would be appreciated. I hope you will get excited at this
project too.

--
Masanori Ogino