[lowrisc-dev] New security concept: Seperated Stack

Aurélien Francillon aurelien.francillon at eurecom.fr
Fri Feb 20 22:52:37 GMT 2015

Hi Philipp, Hi list,

this is an interesting idea, but not very novel :)

I actually wrote a paper about an implementation of a return stack on
the AVR [1]. I was not the first to think about it and there have been
other similar proposals since then.

This said, this seems redundant with the tagged memory. A tag can
have the same effect as a separate return stack to protect return
addresses (or other code pointers for that matter).

Best,
Aurélien

[1]  http://s3.eurecom.fr/docs/secucode09_francillon.pdf