[lowrisc-dev] Open GPU for the first CPU

Stephen Paul Weber singpolyma at singpolyma.net
Tue Feb 17 13:16:56 GMT 2015

>Trying to avoid questions of religion, it doesn't map well to hardware
>because of the need to provide the ability to relink with a modified version
>of the library.  I can slightly see what relinking means in an FPGA context
>(partial reconfiguration?) but it doesn't make sense for chip fab - are you
>going to saw up the die so you can replace a silicon component?

IIRC that requirement is for when you have an LGPL library and a binary-only
program.  If you have an all-source-distributed situation, then re-linking
is easy.  Yes, for an ASIC, it requires making a new chip in the same way
that in software it requires making a new file.

Anyway, I agree that LGPL was not designed for hardware.