Getting Focused was Fwd: [lowrisc-dev] Open GPU for the first CPU

Alex Bradbury asb at asbradbury.org
Tue Feb 17 08:54:31 GMT 2015

On 17 February 2015 at 07:17, Logan Streondj <streondj at gmail.com> wrote:
> For an initial release, it would be best to use what is ready.
> There is an ASIC ready OpenRISC core, and ethernet,
> only thing that needs to be ported is a UART to ASIC.
> Then can package that, crowd-fund it, sell it as a web server.

We went through a selection process when choosing our ISA and
ultimately RISC-V won out. RISC-V is behind OpenRISC in some aspects
(system software) but rapidly catching up, and well ahead in others
(such as regular tapeouts of high performance implementations). We
want to provide an SoC platform for others to build on and modify, and
starting out with a design that we intend to obsolete and abandon is
the opposite of being focused.

> The team is here for the moment, but if there aren't results and
> revenue soon, the team will run out of steam.

We're very aware of the challenges and the timelines involved in
producing silicon. e.g. we have a 128-core research test chip on a
40nm process taping out this summer. I'm not sure why you think we're
anywhere near running out of steam, on the contrary we're just getting
started.