[lowrisc-dev] Open GPU for the first CPU

ALadar-V lowrisc-dev at aggregator.eu
Tue Feb 17 02:30:24 GMT 2015

Dne 13.2.2015 16:13, Jookia napsal(a):
> Hey,
>
> On 02/14/2015 01:56 AM, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
>> Not to stir a flamewar, but his GPU hardware code is released under
>> LGPL which
>> might be feasable.
>
> Not wanting to stir a flame war either, but if there's only one option
> for an open GPU in the end, perhaps it'd be better to have a branch
> that's LGPL/GPU with the GPU until a permissive GPU is viable?
>
> I'd hate to see an open GPU not used due to it's license.
>
> That said from a practical standpoint it'd be nice to outline what
> performance benchmarks a GPU should achieve to be deemed usable. Desktop
> compositing at minimum, though playable Quake would be nice.

Agreed, for general use. But the fundamental question is the team of
developers - whether they can design a GPU at all. The team is the key
to performance.

Wish I could help somehow to make it happen. Anyway, does anywhere exist
some other project(s) for an open GPU for RISC-V ecosystem? I think an
initiative with a webpage, some working group, maybe forums for
discussing various aspects of the design... mail lists are great but the
ideas get buried under the crust of new mail... and novices can't reply
directly to older stuff. Also there's no summary for various topics and
the possibility to directly link to older messages directly.

Maybe it could be setup under the lowrisc project as a working group?

> I'm probably vastly underestimating how unfinished and low performance
> the GPU would be, but I'm just amazed it exists at all.

Me too.