[lowrisc-dev] Open GPU for the first CPU

Jookia 166291 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 15:13:53 GMT 2015

Hey,

On 02/14/2015 01:56 AM, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
> Not to stir a flamewar, but his GPU hardware code is released under LGPL which
> might be feasable.

Not wanting to stir a flame war either, but if there's only one option
for an open GPU in the end, perhaps it'd be better to have a branch
that's LGPL/GPU with the GPU until a permissive GPU is viable?

I'd hate to see an open GPU not used due to it's license.

That said from a practical standpoint it'd be nice to outline what
performance benchmarks a GPU should achieve to be deemed usable. Desktop
compositing at minimum, though playable Quake would be nice.

I'm probably vastly underestimating how unfinished and low performance
the GPU would be, but I'm just amazed it exists at all.

Cheers,
Jookia.