[lowrisc-dev] Open GPU for the first CPU

Reinoud Zandijk reinoud at NetBSD.org
Fri Feb 13 14:56:28 GMT 2015

Hi Theo,

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 01:06:14AM +0000, Theo Markettos wrote:
> ALadar-V <lowrisc-dev at aggregator.eu> wrote:
> > I was thinking along the (GPU) lines you do a few weeks now. One
> > question is whether RISC-V ISA is the right ISA for a GPU (I wish so)
> > and whether some community of developers could be established to take
> > care of development of a GPU. Something along Rocket cores line -
> > personally, I was thinking about gradual rewrite of MESA 3d library into
> > hardware, accelerating parts of it until it's a full-fledged GPU-V
>
> This was posted recently to comp.arch.fpga:
>
> <quote>
> Subject: Open Source GPGPU core
> From: Jeff Bush
>
> I've been designing an open source Larrabee-esque GPGPU processor in
> SystemVerilog and I thought people might find it interesting. Full source
> code, documentation, tests, tools, etc. are available on github:

pity he wrote it in SystemVerilog but i dont see why we can't produce our own
RISCV based GPU or create a Chisel variant of his GPU. It also looks like its
a GPU/CPU combi?

Not to stir a flamewar, but his GPU hardware code is released under LGPL which
might be feasable.

With regards,
Reinoud