[lowrisc-dev] Re: [Openrisc] Verification and testing for open SPI/I2C/I2S/CAN/UART/... implementations

Olof Kindgren olof.kindgren at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 09:12:50 GMT 2015

On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 3:08 PM, Alex Bradbury <asb at asbradbury.org> wrote:
> [I'm crossposting to the openrisc mailing list(s) and the lowrisc-dev
> http://listmaster.pepperfish.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lowrisc-dev-lists.lowrisc.org
> mailing list]
>
> As many of you may know, as part of the lowRISC project we are looking
> to use a collection of simple RISC-V cores ('minions') to provide
> software-implemented peripherals as well as other uses such as secure
> isolated execution. Moving more of the protocol implementation to
> software rather than hardware does perhaps ease the verification
> challenge slightly (or at least moves it into the realm of "we can fix
> it with an update"), though thorough verification suites for
> communication protocols are still of great interest.
>
> A search for 'i2c VIP' or similar shows a range of verification IP
> available from a range of vendors. In the ideal case, the open
> hardware community would create its own equivalent suites. I was
> wondering if anyone has any useful links to such efforts, particularly
> in the open source world? I had a bit of a look through opencores.org,
> though none of my admittedly limited sampling had a particularly
> thorough testbench - are there any particularly thoroughly tested
> blocks?
>
> One example I did find is
> https://verificationacademy.com/forums/downloads/i2c-verification-environment-using-uvm
>
> Alex

Hi Alex,

The sad truth is probably that most testbenches I have found are very
ad-hoc. I have written a BFM and transactors for the Wishbone bus
which can be used together as a VIP, and have been planning to do the
same for other protocols starting with SPI, but haven't had time to do
that yet.

I'll let you know if I can find anything else, but otherwise I hope
that lowRISC can set the example with modern Open Source-friendly
verification practices :)

Cheers,
Olof