[lowrisc-dev] Fabrication process

L.R. d S. arrowscript at mail.com
Wed Dec 31 09:33:39 GMT 2014

>I think that it would be interesting to have insight into the process, problems and solutions that you have experienced in the fabrication process for lowRISC.

As sr. McGee, I have the same think about this.

Problems I see here:
- How we can trust on crypto processor manufacturing?

On the last paper released, on page 2, the team describe a crypto processo on lowRISC. How we can trust on this, on times of mass surveilance? Even if this have a libre design with all firmware and all, how we can verify the method of manufacturing? We already have problems about that[1].
My idea is create a open inspection, with logs on every process, and/or maybe create a verification with a photo from processor comparing with the Serial number.

-The ROM's
We will can compile everything from source and put it on ROM? Boads like BeagleBone have a ROM inside that can't be replaced (it's Mask ROM)... I hope this don't happen on lowRISC.

-A method to make a write prottection on ROM?
If so, we can compile, replace ROM, and then apply the write protection. With this we can trust on what we run, without the preocupation with deliberate third parties ROM write.

Regards,
Luiz Roberto.

[1] http://www.chesworkshop.org/ches2013/presentations/CHES2013_Session4_3.pdf