New Ick component: Muck, for JSON storage

Lars Wirzenius liw at liw.fi
Mon Nov 26 08:34:54 GMT 2018

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 08:25:37AM +0000, Daniel Silverstone wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 20:37:16 +0200, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> > Thoughts?
>
> Currently only one jumps out:
>
> > Muck stores JSON objects in memory, but persistently: they get written
> > to disk and loaded back into memory if the service is restarted.
>
> Does Muck offer any guarantees as to the durability of writes?  If the
> Muck host reboots unexpectedly, how much data will be lost?

At the moment, the prototype opens the changelog file in append mode,
and just write to it. It doesn't try to fsync or otherwise ensure data
is committed to disk: I wanted to keep things simple. (Neither does
the ick controller for its current storage solution.)

For an eventual production version, I'll want to add at least the
fsync calls (data and file and directory metadata). When I/we get
there, I would appreciate help with those details.

--
I want to build worthwhile things that might last. --joeyh