Automated testing and GNOME

Lars Wirzenius lars.wirzenius at codethink.co.uk
Thu Jan 17 13:04:15 GMT 2013

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 08:58:47AM +0000, Sam Thursfield wrote:
> Hi all
>
> There's an interesting technical discussion of current and future
> plans for continuous testing and integration of GNOME taking place
> on the desktop-devel-list right now:
>
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2013-January/msg00002.html

Thanks for pointing us at that, Sam.

My summary: They're wanting to do the same kind of tests as we want
(build-time tests, tests on the installed system), but all details
are quite dependent on their specifics. However, one idea Colin
Walters mentions is that he would like to see tests be installable,
i.e., when installing some software, you can install the tests as
well, and when you run the installed tests, they test the installed
software. That sounds like something that would be useful for us
as well, once we get that far.

However, I don't see there's anything we need to do about this right
now. We need a few more building blocks in place first before we can
do any of this.

--
http://www.codethink.co.uk/ http://wiki.baserock.org/ http://www.baserock.com/