NetSurf for Atari
by Thorsten Otto
just wanted to let you know that, despite your fearings, the atari version
still can be compiled using your toolchain. I just managed to produce a
working version which can be found here , and a screenshot here. There have
been only a few pitfalls with it. My first attempt was to use the cross-
compiler that i already had installed (in /usr), setting the environment
accordingly. That got me trapped by statements like CC := $(wildcard $
(GCCSDK_INSTALL_CROSSBIN)/*gcc) which expanded to more than one gcc installed
there. So i installed your pre-build jenkins toolchain, and that left only a
few minor problems.
The first was that in a few places (both Makefiles and shell scripts if i
remember correctly) /bin/which was used to locate programs. There is no such
thing on my system, it is installed in /usr/bin where it belongs, so i had to
create a link for this.
Then i had to patch env.sh to use zypper instead of apt-get (patch attached
below). The reason why i checked for zypper in the first place is that on the
system i use (SuSE tumbleweed) there is also a brain-damaged apt-get script
that trys to be a wrapper for zypper but fails most of the time.
Then there was a problem with nsgenbind using a cross-compiler toolchain.
Didn't look how that is handled in other environments, but for the atari
version it is looked up on the path, but wasn't build for the host before. So
i had to clean everything, build for the host, then moved the executable to
some other place on the path, before starting over again.
After that, i finally was able to compile the Atari version. Took me bit to get
accustomed to the build system (its a bit strange to use $HOST when you
actually mean $TARGET when running env.sh ;), and at the same time use $HOST
in the Makefiles when you mean the build system), but, thanks to your excellent
documentation, took only a few hours to put everything together.
After that, i changed a few places that the compiler mentioned. You will find
the patches attached below. There were also bunch of other warnings in non-
atari related code, i have attached the text output from it if you want to
take a look at it.
I have now also used a different toolchain (putting it in the places your SDK
expects), which is using gcc 7.2, and some updated libraries. The result can
be found here It was compiled using the cross-compiler that you find on that
Happy hacking, and keep up the good work, hope you don't decide to drop the
Atari version, it's the only browser on this platform that is still maintained
5 years, 7 months